13.10.12

Awash II



That there
That's not me
I go
Where I please

In a little while
I'll be gone
The moment's already passed

It's gone
And I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here
I'm not here


 







* * *

Notes:  Lyrics from Radiohead's "How to Disappear Completely."  I generally find Radiohead too depressing to actually listen to for recreation.  This is the last and second part to the Awash photoshoot that I made with Madeline, my Raurencio/Iplehouse hybrid. 

I had some strange thoughts going through my mind as I tried to think about my intentions for this second part.  Although they have somewhat glamorous connotations, the more I thought about the string of pearls, the more they looked to me like a chain of shackles.  

A lot of these pictures seem to be quite objectifying: Madeline does not have very much to wear, she's often in positions that probably read as visually consumable, and the pearls tend to point toward her potential to be seen as an ornament.  From there, I started to think about how one might disassociate from one's own self while being submissive to the camera's lense.  I tried to suggest a little of that by gradually making the pictures more faded and then darker, as if, in order to please the incisive gaze, the subject is disappearing behind a performance of passivity and retreating to a blurred, marginal place.

* * *

0 comments:

Post a Comment